A project using computer vision to identify the top 10 most common bird species encountered in New Zeland's forests.
List of identifable birds
- Grey warbler
- Kererū/New Zealand wood pigeon
- Silver eye/wax-eye
- The list of 10 birds to identify is taken from New Zealand's Department of Conservation's online course.
- The model has an ~95% accuracy rate and will return the classification with the highest prediction number.
- A prediction number of e.g. 0.4116642 means the model is 41% confident in its prediction, so not at all confident.
- If you upload an image of a cat, the prediction will be which of the 10 known birds the cat most resembles (according to the model).
- This project was completed as an early part of Fast.ai's deep learning course (v3).
- The default home image is from Ashleigh Thompson/Wikimedia Commmons.
- A project by Kristin Wilson. Technical details at Making Bird.Id.